Jun 21, 2008

Make Your Own--Rich Body Lotion

This is my favorite lotion--and I've tried most pharmacy brands--for soothing my daughter's 'rough spots.' She gets bouts of eczema that, like her, has a mind of it's own. I also feel comfortable slathering it on, as I can pronounce all the ingredients! Plus it's very healing. I use it on myself and my skin is soft without regular use. No special storage needed; works well in a pump. Usually one can find supplies, like beeswax, in a local natural foods store or herb shop. If not, I like purchasing from Mountain Rose Herbs and The Ponte Vedra Soap Shoppe.




RICH BODY LOTION



  • 1 cup aloe vera gel
  • 1-2 tablespoons rose water
  • 1 teaspoon pure vitamin E oil
  • 1 teaspoon lanolin
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup beeswax
  • 3/4 cup almond oil
  • Up to 1 1/2 teaspoons of essential oil of your choice

In a blender, mix aloe vera gel, rose water, and vitamin E oil. In a double boiler (or stainless steel bowl placed on top of a pot of boiling water), place lanolin, coconut oil, and beeswax. Stir until melted and mixed. Stir in almond oil. Start your blender running at low to medium speed and pour oils in, in a thin stream. As the 'oils' blend with the 'waters,' the mixture will turn white. When the mixture has a mayonnaise-like consistency, stop the motor, add essential oils, and pulse to blend. Transfer to jar or pump-top bottle while warm.